Gluten Free Cookie Bars for a Picnic
There’s nothing better than eating outside in beautiful weather with friends and family. I’m proud to be hosting this week’s theme with gluten free cookie bars that taste so good you’ll want to steal them away! Washington DC has an annual tradition of celebrating the spring with the blooming of the cherry blossoms. My friends and I go into the city every year and have a picnic using food from a local fish market. While picnicking this year, I realized there was one thing we were missing. Dessert! I love eating fresh local produce in the spring and summer, but there’s always space for dessert. For this #SundaySupper I wanted to do a classic dessert and put a spin on cookie bars using chocolate sandwich cookies. The cookie bars are filled with crushed gluten free cookies rather than chocolate chips.
At the beginning of the article I mentioned that these cookie bars taste so good you’d like to steal them.How could I back up such a statement you may ask? Because it happened to me! As I was photographing the food for this week on my super awesome Ninja Turtles picnic blanket, one of my neighbor’s kids sneaked up on me and stole the cookie bars!
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup and 2 tbsp granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed in the measuring cup
2 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
3/4 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup potato starch
2 tsp guar gum
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 gluten free chocolate sandwich cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 350F
2. Whip the butter, sugars, and vanilla together until fluffy. Whisk in the eggs.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flours, starches, gum, soda and salt.
4. Gradually whisk the flour into the butter mixture until a dough forms.
5. Remove the fillings from the cookies, and roughly crush the cookies. Stir them into the cookie dough.
6. Spread the batter into a 9×13 inch cake pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
7. Let the cookie pan rest until room temperature, then cut into squares.