Welcome to Ice Cream Week 2014! This year the event is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. We have teamed up with 25 amazing bloggers to bring you ice cream treats all week long. I hope you have as much fun as we did. Break out those stretchy pants and celebrate Ice Cream Week with us.
Our sponsors for the event have provided us with some great prizes. A huge thanks to Cake Boss, Anolon, Microplane, WÜSTHOF, Page Street Publishing and Quarry Spoon. Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen have tossed in a bonus prize of a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker because they think everyone should own one!
Here’s what is up for grabs, One Winner Takes All:
- 1 Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine in White
- One Cake Boss Mechanical Ice Cream Scoop with Red Silicone grips
- One Cake Boss 4Pc Ice Cream Bowl Set, Icing Pattern
- One Anolon Advanced Bronze 2 Qt Covered Straining Saucepan with Pour Spout
- One Microplane Herb and Salad Chopper
- One Microplane Premium Classic Grater in White
- One WUSTHOF CLASSIC 9-inch Double Serrated Bread Knife
- One Copy of the Cookbook Making Artisan Gelato by Torrance Kopfer
- One Copy of the Cookbook Everything Goes with Ice Cream by Koralee Teichroeb
- One Copy of the Cookbook Vegan Scoop by Wheeler del Torro
- One Copy of the Cookbook The Great Vegan Bean Book by Kathy Hester
- One Copy of the Cookbook Eat More Dessert by Jenny Kellar
- One Copy of the Cookbook The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
- One Copy of the Cookbook Scoop Adventures by Lindsay Clendaniel
Make sure you swing by for a scoop from each of today’s Ice Cream Week Participants:
- Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Ice Cream Pie by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Surprise Ice Cream Treat by Scoop Adventures
- Raspberry Lemonade Ice Cream Pie by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream by Life Tastes Good
- Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Buster Bars by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Hezzi-d’s Books and Cooks
- “Fried” Ice Cream Pie by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Mint Chip Ice Cream by Crumb
- S’mores Ice Cream Pie by Love and Confections
- How to Make an Ice Cream Pie at Home by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Gluten Free Sandwich Cookie Ice Cream Pie by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Fudge Topped Chocolate Ice Cream Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream Pie by The Spiffy Cookie
- Caramel Coffee Milkshake by Wishes and Dishes
- Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Pie by The Messy Baker
- Majarete (Dominican Corn Pudding) Ice Cream by Mind Over Batter
- Peanut Butter Crunch Ice Cream Cake by The Gunny Sack
- Dirty Girl Scout Ice Cream by Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- No Churn Low Carb Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Yours and Mine are Ours
I’ll be sharing a recipe for each day of Ice Cream Week. I plan on sharing two different methods of making ice cream, along with various desserts that showcase ice cream.
I didn’t find this out until preparing for #IceCreamWeek, but today is National Ice Cream Pie Day! Crazy, right? I was thinking of an easy way to make a gluten free pie crust that would work well in the freezer, and settled on a cookie crust. When I grew up, I loved going to ice cream shops a few times in the summer for a nice cold blended ice cream treat. My favorite were always the sandwich cookie ice cream blends, and haven’t had any of it since being gluten free. That’s one of the reasons I was excited to come up with a gluten free variety of this. I decided to make a vanilla ice cream base to mix gluten free sandwich cookies into since I find it easier to mix cookies into fresh ice cream rather than store bought.
Active Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 4 1/2 hours
|1 cup||gluten free chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs|
|1/4 cup||granulated sugar|
|3 tbsp||melted butter|
|1 pint||heavy whipping cream|
|2 tsp||gluten free vanilla|
|5||gluten free chocolate sandwich cookies|
- Blend the cookie crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, and butter together. Press it into a pie tin and then into the freezer.
- Whisk the cream, 1/2 sugar, milk, and vanilla together. Pour into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer instructions. At the end of the churning process, crush the sandwich cookies and blend into the ice cream.
- Pour the ice cream into the pie tin and spread. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 4 hours.