Happy Sunday! Did you know that it’s National Grilled Cheese Month? Doesn’t that sound like the best month ever to celebrate such an amazing American classic!? Who doesn’t love a savory sandwich (gluten free of course) that marries gooey creamy cheese and golden crispy bread? Join the #SundaySupper group and Gallo Family Vineyards as we bring you a variety of grilled cheese recipes that pair well with various wines. Follow this link to read Gallo Family Vineyard’s Grilled Cheese Recipe post: http://www.gallofamily.com/wine-blog/20-grilled-cheese-recipes.html?cid=sunsup
Your traditional grilled cheese is composed of American cheese sandwiched between two pieces of toasted buttered bread. The beautiful thing with a classic such as grilled cheese is you can make it your own. You’ll see many creative variations of grilled cheese this weekend, including my gluten free kale grilled cheese.
A few weeks ago I was inspired by bold green kale I found while in the grocery store. It’s safe to say that I may be on a bit of culinary kale marathon, and I wanted to come up with a way to incorporate it into a grilled cheese sandwich. Garlic is a great compliment to kale, cheese, and bread, so I came up with a recipe that joins the three together.
I have a few tips to make a great grilled cheese. Whenever placing greens in a grilled sandwich, I like to precook the greens with some olive oil to wilt them and make them easier to handle. Another big decision point is whether to use sliced or grated cheese. I lean towards using grated cheese because it’s easier to melt than a large slice of cheese, and I also love the little browned pieces of cheese that fall out while cooking. One other grilled cheese tip is to loosely cover the sandwich with aluminum foil while it is cooking. This helps the cheese melt faster without burning the bread.
- 1 lb kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 8 slices of gluten free bread
- 8 oz grated smoked Cheddar cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the kale, salt, and pepper. Toss in the oil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the kale from the heat and set aside.
- Using a fork, blend the butter and garlic powder together.
- Spread one side of each bread slice with the garlic butter.
- Put the sandwiches together by topping one bread slice, buttered side down, with cheese and kale (make sure the cheese and kale is evenly distributed between the 4 sandwiches). Place once buttered-side up bread slice over the cheese to make 4 sandwiches.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat.
- Place the sandwiches on the griddle and loosely cover with aluminum foil. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the foil and flip the sandwiches. Cook for another 3 minutes or until the sandwiches are golden brown.
- Remove the sandwiches from the pan, slice and serve.
I love eating grilled cheese with some tomato soup and a nice glass of wine. Gallo Family Vineyards has both white and red wines that pair well with grilled cheese sandwiches. I had the chance to try some Gallo wine while making my grilled cheese and would like to recommend some pairings that go well with my kale grilled cheese recipe. I enjoyed having a glass of the light and sweet Riesling with the grilled cheese as it goes well with the rich, garlic flavors of the sandwich. The dry Merlot is another great wine that pairs well with the flavor of the smoked cheddar cheese in this recipe.
Check out Gallo Family Vineyards for more information on their
And Merlot: http://www.gallofamily.com/our-wines/merlot.html
If you are interested in trying Gallo Family wine, (and I recommend that you do!) you can use the Gallo Family Vineyards store locator to find stores near you that sell Gallo wine: http://www.gallofamily.com/where-to-buy.html?cp=sunsup
You can also find Gallo Family Vineyards on social media
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GalloFamilyVineyards
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/GalloFamily
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/gallofamily
- YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/gallofamilyvineyards
Check out all of the #SundaySupper Grilled Cheese Recipes below:
- Bacon Inverted Grilled Cheese by Brunch with Joy
- BBQ Pulled Pork and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Brie, Raspberry and Honey Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Egg Prosciutto Grilled Cheese by Magnolia Days
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by The Redhead Baker
- Garlicky Anaheim Pepper Grilled Cheese by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Kale Grilled Cheese by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Cheese with Spinach and Roasted Red Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Havarti with Onion Jam by Nosh My Way
- Grilled Gruyère on Rye with Crisped Sage and Pink Lady Slices by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Loaded Sharp Cheddar and Black Forest Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Longaniza Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Peaceful Cooking
- Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roasted Cauliflower, Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Tomato Caprese Grilled Cheese by One Sweet Mess
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Bacon Jam Grilled Cheese by Feed Me, Seymour
- Tomato, Prosciutto and Gruyère Grilled Cheese by Casa de Crews
- Twenty Ways to Make Grilled Cheese plus Wine Pairings on the Sunday Supper Movement website
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.