Happy Holidays everyone! December is one of my favorite times of the year, especially this year! Over on my YouTube channel I’ve been expressing my childlike excitement for the new Star Wars movie, while here on my blog I’ve been celebrating the beauty of the holiday season. Earlier this month I shared some gluten free cookies inspired by my mom, while this weekend’s Last Minute Holiday Recipes #SundaySupper is inspired by holidays with my grandparents. I’ve had the pleasure of co-hosting this weekend’s Sunday Supper with Wendy of Wholistic Woman, be sure to go visit her site! When I was a kid, my grandmother would make some amazing hot cocoa that we’d NEVER drink in front of the fireplace (because drinks and food were never allowed over carpet, for very good reason). After going to college and discovering the addictive magic of coffee, I’d wake up on Christmas morning and start my morning with my grandparents in their kitchen. We’d drink morning coffee together while doing the puzzles in the newspaper and just spending time together around the kitchen table.
During the winter I always have homemade marshmallows in the house for coffee and hot cocoa, so this last minute holiday recipe is a gluten free coffee mocha. I always get nervous about gluten sneaking its way into store bought drinks, so I prefer to make any flavored coffees at home. For the same reason, I prefer to make marshmallows with agave rather than corn syrup. The marshmallows in this recipe take a day to rest, so if you don’t have a day to make prepared marshmallows, you can substitute with pre-made marshmallow. However, if you do have time to make marshmallow, you can use holiday cookie cutters to make seasonal marshmallows for your mocha!
Be sure to join us this evening for a #SundaySupper chat at 7pm ET for last minute holiday recipes, and be sure to check out all of these recipes!
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread by Ruffles & Truffles
- Chocolate Cranberry Mini Muffins by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cauliflower-Apple Melts by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chimichurri Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Everything Cream Cheese Balls by Magnolia Days
- Mini Party Crab Cakes by Food Lust People Love
- Holiday Bruschetta by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Lobster Salad in Puff Pastry Cups by The Weekend Gourmet
- Potato Kimchi Bacon Bites by kimchi MOM
- Quick Crab Stuffed Mushrooms by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Scallops with Cranberry Bacon Jam by Caroline’s Cooking
- Shrimp and Artichoke Crostini by Monica’s Table
- Spanakopita Bites by Casa de Crews
- Tortellini Caprese Bites by The Freshman Cook
- Tropical Cocktail Wings by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Bean, Escarole, & Sausage Soup by Get the Good Stuff
- Chicken Cacciatore Pronto by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Easy Chicken Fried Rice by Feeding Big
- Swedish Meatballs by Palatable Pastime
- Apple Pecan Salad by Wholistic Woman
- Bourbon Glazed Sweet Potatoes by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Healthier Hoppin’ John by Cooking Chat
- Italian Sausage & Broccoli Rabe Stuffing by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- 4-Ingredient Double Chocolate Christmas Fudge by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Bananas Foster Bread Pudding by Wallflour Girl
- Dark Chocolate Coconut Pecan Cups by PancakeWarriors
- Frangelico French Silk Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Holiday Pie Crust Cookies by Rhubarb and Honey
- Peppermint Bark Pretzels by Pies and Plots
- Red Velvet Eggnog Cheesecake Trifle by The Crumby Cupcake
- Santa Cookies by NinjaBaker.com
- Skillet Cookies by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Soft and Chewy Lemon Cookies by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- White Chocolate Covered Gingerbread OREOS by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- White Chocolate Peppermint Fudge by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Quick and Easy Holiday Recipe #SundaySupper by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
- Marshmallow Ingredients
- 3 packets of gelatin (unflavored)
- 1 cup of ice cold water
- 1 cup light agave
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup room temperature water
- 2 tbsp gluten free vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Mocha Ingredients
- 4 tbsp coffee grounds
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- splash of half and half (or almond milk to make it dairy-free)
- Marshmallow Instructions
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil and fill with a layer of powdered sugar. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ice cold water and gelatin. Set aside.
- In a tall saucepan, combine the 1/3 cup water, agave, and sugar. Place a candy thermometer into the pot, and cook over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Increase the heat to high, and constantly stir until the sugar is 240F. (Be super careful with hot sugar. You do not want it to touch your skin).
- Remove the sugar from heat, then add it to the gelatin. Using a mixer, mix the sugar on high speed for 12 minutes. Beat int the vanilla extract. Spread the marshmallow into the pan, and cover the top with a layer of powdered sugar. Let the marshmallow rest for 4-6 hrs and then cut into desired shapes.
- Mocha Instructions
- Prepare the coffee as desired.
- In a small cup, mix the sugar and cocoa. Split evenly into two cups.
- Pour the coffee into the two cups, and add splash of half and half.
- Top with the seasonal marshmallows.