Hey everyone, happy Sunday from Orlando! So I may have procrastinated a bit while writing up the piece to accompany this recipe, but I’m kinda glad I did! I’m currently in Orlando at Rosen Shingle Creek for the Food Wine Conference, and I’ve had so much fun so far. In case I haven’t said it enough already, there’s so many amazing and inspirational people at this conference. Its the recharger to my rechargable batteries. I come and plug myself in, immerse myself in the weekend, and I always leave feeling refreshed and full of inspiration. (But more on that in a post coming up later this week!) This week’s Sunday Supper is a little different than normal, all of us are celebrating Spanish Tapas and will be live from Tapa Toro restaurant as we tweet! My first experience with tapas was in Old Town Alexandria, and it was such a fun take on the family table dinner. Everyone shares dishes and takes a little bit of everything throughout the night, and tapas can be such a great enabler for conversation and interaction between everyone at the dinner table!
The restaurant sponsoring our LIVE! #SundaySupper Twitter chat on May 15th is Tapa Toro. Tapa Toro combines contemporary Spanish cuisine with a vibrant, energetic atmosphere – bringing a fresh dining experience to the I-Drive 360 area in Orlando, FL. Their unique paella pit, vibrant tapas menu, and extensive selection of imported wines will guide you through a culinary journey of Spanish flavors and culture in the heart of Central Florida.
The recipe I’m bringing is kind of a meld of Spanish flavors and French cuisine. I wanted to come up with a dish that would be a fun finger food where multiple could easily fit on a single serving platter. I decided to go with the French Macaron (think meringue with almonds mixed throughout), and I wanted to feature some flavors that made me think of Spanish cuisine. I added some cinnamon into the chocolate batter, and just a little bit of hot pepper for a bit of a kick! I hope y’all enjoy this weekend’s recipe!
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle pepper powder
- 11/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 8oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Whip the egg whites in a bowl using a mixer at medium speed until they become frothy. Add the sugar, cocoa, chipotle, and cinnamon, and whip at high speed until soft peaks form. Fold in the almond meal until well combined.
- Lay out a silcone mat on a baking sheet, and transfer the cookie dough to a piping bag. Pipe into 2 inch wide disks, and let the cookies sit on the countertop for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and bake the cookies for 12 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let them cool.
- While the cookies cool, whip the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until it starts to have a lighter, whipped texture. With the mixer on medium, slowly add the cream and whip until light and fluffy. Transfer the filling to a piping bag.
- Assemble the cookies like sandwiches, with the whipped filling added in between.
Check out all of the delicious #SundaySupper recipes, and join us live at 7pm ET for our twitter chat! And thank you to Caroline for hosting this week, go check her out!
Also, be sure to check out Tapa Toro on all of it’s social media:
- Facebook: @tapatoroorlando
- Twitter: @tapatoroorlando
- Instagram: @tapatoroorlando
Para Empezar, Las Tapas (Appetizers/tapas) –
- Apple, Chorizo, and Manchego Crostini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Champiñones al Ajillo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chorizo and Sweet Potato Spanish Tortilla Bites by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus & Fennel Marinated Olives by Go Epicurista
- Clams Casino Dip with Bacon by Girl Abroad
- Crab Enchilado Empanadas with Avocado Cream by Gourmet Everyday
- Fried Almonds with Thyme by What The Fork Food Blog
- Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp) by Pook’s Pantry
- Garlicky Shrimp with Olive Oil by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gazpacho Cucumber Bites by A Mind Full Mom
- Gildas Picantes – Spicy Anchovy Olive Skewers by Food Lust People Love
- Herbed and Spiced Almonds by Get the Good Stuff!
- Huevos Rellenos de Gambas (Deviled Eggs with Shrimp) by Our Good Life
- How to make Beef Sweet Sour Meatballs with Pineapple for #SundaySupper by Asian In America
- Manchego Cheese & Chorizo Bites with Saffron Alioli by Hardly A Goddess
- Margarita Ceviche by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pinchos Morunos (Spanish Pork Skewers) with Mojo Picon by Curious Cuisiniere
- Roasted Bell Pepper Goat Cheese Bites by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Eggplant and Piquillo Pepper Toasts by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Roasted Red Peppers and Anchovies with Bruschetta by The Hungry Goddess
- Seared Scallops with Shredded Manchego and a Bleu Cheese Crumble by The Freshman Cook
- Serrano Ham & Goat Cheese Croquettes by My World Simplified
- Serrano Ham Bites with Melon and Cheese by Palatable Pastime
- Shrimp Romesco Bites by Cooking On The Ranch
- Smoked Sardine Crostini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Garlic Shrimp by Life Tastes Good
- Stuffed Mushrooms by The Chef Next Door
- Tomato Gazpacho With Fried Avocado Bites by Nik Snacks
- Tortillita De Camarones by the healthy fit foodie
- Tortilla Española by Monica’s Table
- White Wine Marinated Steak with Blue Cheese by Caroline’s Cooking
- Zanahorias Aliñadas (Spanish Marinated Carrots) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Postres (Desserts) –
- Buñuelos de Viento by Dessert Geek
- Chocolate Spiced Macarons by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Chocolate Toasts with Apricots by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Churro Bites with Chocolate Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Churro Cupcakes by Pies and Plots
- Mini Vanilla Flans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Dulce de Leche Cheesecakes by The Redhead Baker
Bebidas (Drinks) –
- Tinto de Verano ~ A Sangria alternative by An Appealing Plan
Plus Alcachofas al Ajillo – Garlicky Artichokes – and Spanish Tapas Recipes by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.