Hey everyone, I hope you’re having a good week so far! Today I wanted to share my gluten free adaptation of A Southern Fairytale’s Blueberry Orange Bread. I met Rachel at last year’s Food and Wine Conference, and I highly encourage you to check out her blog and social media. She takes some amazing photos of food and her recipes are to die for. I found this recipe a while ago on Pinterest and placed it on my list of recipes to adapt. Last month I tried it with my standard gluten free flour blend (rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, gum) and fell in love with the recipe. It’s super tasty and I think I ended up eating one mini-loaf a day while at work.
A week or two ago I decided to try it again after tweaking a few things. I changed my flour blend to use almond meal to capture some of the almond extract flavor from the original recipe. I also toss the berries in granulated sugar rather than the powdered variety. The adaptation also uses a mini loaf pan rather than the traditional larger single loaf pan. I normally prefer to make most gluten free bread as mini loaves. I find the overall texture to end up better as the smaller loaves have an easier time of holding their structure, especially if they are moist like this recipe. I hope you guys enjoy my adaptation, and be sure to go check out A Southern Fairytale!
Be sure to check out Rachel’s site and social media:
Recipe adapted from A Southern Fairytale
- 1 cup sugar
- zest of 2 Oranges
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 1/4 tsp xantham gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup Sugar to toss with the blueberries.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray mini loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Zest the oranges and combine with 1 cup sugar, set aside.
- Combine the flour, meal, starch, gum, citrus sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Whisk and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg, orange juice, water, and butter.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour the wet ingredients into this well and gently combine.
- Toss the blueberries with the sugar until coated and gently fold the blueberries in to the batter.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pans and bake. This can take about 35 minutes. (1 hour with a larger single bread pan)
Recipe Source: http://asouthernfairytale.com/2013/07/16/blueberry-orange-bread/