After a week of work travel, there’s nothing like eating a home cooked meal. This is especially true as someone who is gluten free. After the stress of trying to find restaurants or grocery stores that handle gluten free properly, its a relief to have total control of the food I eat. This weekend I decided to make a fresh, crisp chicken salad topped with shredded poached chicken. I like using poached chicken in my salads because you can really infuse some great aromatics into the meat while keeping the meat tender without any added fat (much healthier than what I think of as a traditional chicken salad). This is a recipe that can be made in under 45 minutes, and is great for weekday lunches or as a snack. I love having it as an afternoon snack when I’m starting to feel low on energy, and want to avoid less healthy, sugar & carb filled snacks (I’m looking at you Udi’s cookies). This recipe doesn’t include cheese in it, but would go really well with a little shredded Parmesan on top. I hope you enjoy this healthy recipe as much as I do! Something this delicious should definitely be less healthy.
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
|2||skinless chicken breasts|
|20 oz||chicken stock|
|1 tbsp||black peppercorns|
|3 tbsp||dried minced onion|
|3 tbsp||dried basil|
|2 tbsp||dried rosemary|
|3 handfuls||mixed greens|
|1 handful||shredded carrots|
|1 handful||shredded radish|
|1 handful||sliced almonds|
|1/2 handful||dried cranberries|
|3 tbsp||gluten free citrus salad dressing|
- Place the chicken breasts, stock, leaves, onion, basil, rosemary into a medium sauce pot.
- Crush the peppercorns and garlic. Add to the pot.
- Turn the stove onto medium high and bring the stock to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cover. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and let the chicken cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and let set for 5 minutes.
- Shred one of the chicken breasts.
- Place the greens, carrots, radish, almonds, cranberries, and half of the meat of one breast onto a place. Drizzle the dressing over top.