Happy Monday! I hope you all had an amazing weekend and let’s start the week out with #WeekdaySupper recipes where we are Cooking with Fruit. Tomato is the fruit that’s featured as part of my Mexican Chicken Bowl, a quick recipe that’s ready in 30 minutes. I like to make this recipe as a slightly healthier variation on fast food Mexican restaurants. I like to make a big batch of it on the weekend, and then reheat it throughout the week for lunch or dinner.
Here’s a few tips on how to speed up the cooking time on this recipe:
— Use boil in bag rice. You sacrifice some quality of texture for the ease of cooking, but it’s a great way of making rice quickly with minimal clean up.
— Use thinner slices of chicken breasts. Its quicker to cut the chicken, and it’ll cook quicker and more evenly without any large chunks.
— Cut all the chicken and veggies before you start cooking. You’ll find yourself more organized and your food will have less chance of burning.
Be sure to check out all of the other Cooking with Fruit #WeekdaySupper recipes on list of blogs below. We’ve got a lot of creative recipes that I’m looking forward to seeing!
Tuesday – Blackberry BBQ Glazed Chicken by Feed Me, Seymour
Wednesday – Duck Confit Sliders by The Petit Gourmet
Thursday – Tilapia with Raspberry Chipotle Sauce by Feeding Big
Friday – Chicken Scaloppini with Grilled Peaches by Recipes Food and Cooking
Also, be sure to check out #SundaySupper on twitterchat at 7pm ET every Sunday for some amazing themed recipes and super fun conversation!
- 1 cup white rice, cooked
- 1/2 pound chicken
- 2 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 green onions
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Handful cilantro
- 1/2 Roma tomato
- Prepare rice to create 1 cup of cooked rice. You can use boil in bag rice or a rice cooker to do so.
- Cube the chicken, set aside in a bowl, and either clean or change out your cutting board.
- Dice the pepper, onion, garlic, and tomato. Slice the tops of the green onions.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp oil and preheat to medium heat. Add the chicken, and cook for about 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan, and sautee for about 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is tender. Add the pepper and green onions. Cook for about 2 minutes, then add 1 tbsp water to the pan and scrape up the chicken bits.
- Add the chicken, spices, salt, pepper, and rice to the pan. Stir to combine, reduce temperature to medium low and cook for 5 minutes, periodically stirring.
- Transfer to the chicken rice to a service plate, top with tomatoes and cilantro leaves.