Hey everyone! I hope that you’re warmer than I am this weekend. The east coast is crippled with super cold weather, but that shouldn’t stop you from having a fun, loving Valentine’s Day! Today I wanted to share a gluten free red velvet cake that’s so incredibly moist you’ll end your Valentine’s dinner with a sweet note. The cake has a mild mocha undertone that pairs really well with the tangy and sweet cream cheese frosting. Serve it with some wine and fresh Florida strawberries, and you’ve got an amazing date night lined up! (Adapted from http://divascancook.com/the-best-red-velvet-cake-recipe-easy-homemade-moist-with-southern-flair/)
- 1 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp guar gum
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp gluten free vanilla
- 1 tsp red food coloring
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/3 cup hot bold coffee
- 8 oz room temperature butter
- 8 oz room temperature cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Prepare two round cake pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flours, gum, salt, and cocoa together in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the oil and sugar together in a large bowl. Whisk in the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, food coloring, and vinegar. Add the hot coffee and blend until a batter is formed.
- Bake in the cake pans for 30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter and cream cheese together. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and blend until a frosting has formed.
- Layer one cake with cream cheese frosting, then top with the second layer. Cover the cake with frosting and serve.