I may not love the pollen and bizarre weather shifts of spring, but I most definitely love the arrival of beautiful local produce. For desserts, I love serving fruit with gluten free pastry, and what better method than a bite-sized cream puff. Cream puffs are made with a pastry dough known as pâte á choux. A choux dough simply contains water, butter, flour, and eggs. Once prepared, choux dough can be piped into shapes to be baked or fried. Common baked preparations of choux are cream puffs or eclairs, while fried varieties are crullers, beignets, or churros. I’ve made choux dough in the past for beignets, but am glad to make them again for cream puffs. I never had cream puffs often growing up, but when I did they were from my grandparents’ house. I love having them with fresh fruit or with chocolate.
I used Glutino gluten free flour blend for this recipe, but any gluten free flour blend that contains guar or xantham gum. I use whipped cream and fresh fruit in this recipe, but pastry cream or flavored whipped cream can be easily substituted to customize flavors to your liking.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
|1 cup||Glutino gluten free flour blend|
|1 pint||heavy whipping cream|
|1 tsp||gluten free vanilla extract|
|2 tbsp||powdered sugar|
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, bring the cup water, butter, and sugar to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the flour until well combined. Place back on the heat and stir constantly for 4 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl and stir for 4 minutes to cool down the dough. Add in the egg one at a time until well combined and a dough forms.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the dough to a piping bag, and pipe the dough into inch wide by inch tall cylinders. Use your finger to press the peaks back into the dough. In a small bowl, whisk the 1 tbsp water and yolk, and brush onto the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven to 350F and bake for 30 minutes. Transfer the puffs to a cooling rack and cool completely. Cut the tops off the puffs in preparation for filling.
- Whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla together until soft peaks form. Dice the berries into small pieces. Distribute the berries into each puff, and fill with whipped cream. Refrigerate for 10 minutes and then serve.