Hooray it’s finally spring! What better way to celebrate than with a picnic themed #SundaySupper that draws inspiration from Earth Day. There’s nothing better than eating outside in beautiful weather with friends and family. I’m proud to be hosting this week’s theme with gluten free cookie bars that taste so good you’ll want to steal them away!
Washington DC has an annual tradition of celebrating the spring with the blooming of the cherry blossoms. My friends and I go into the city every year and have a picnic using food from a local fish market. While picnicking this year, I realized there was one thing we were missing. Dessert! I love eating fresh local produce in the spring and summer, but there’s always space for dessert. For this #SundaySupper I wanted to do a classic dessert and put a spin on cookie bars using chocolate sandwich cookies. The cookie bars are filled with crushed gluten free cookies rather than chocolate chips.
At the beginning of the article I mentioned that these cookie bars taste so good you’d like to steal them.How could I back up such a statement you may ask? Because it happened to me! As I was photographing the food for this week on my super awesome Ninja Turtles picnic blanket, one of my neighbor’s kids sneaked up on me and stole the cookie bars! Lucky I got enough good pictures that I could use for this post.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup and 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed in the measuring cup
- 2 tsp gluten free vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2 tsp guar gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 gluten free chocolate sandwich cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Whip the butter, sugars, and vanilla together until fluffy. Whisk in the eggs.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flours, starches, gum, soda and salt.
- Gradually whisk the flour into the butter mixture until a dough forms.
- Remove the fillings from the cookies, and roughly crush the cookies. Stir them into the cookie dough.
- Spread the batter into a 9x13 inch cake pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let the cookie pan rest until room temperature, then cut into squares.
Be sure to check out all of the amazing recipes for this week’s #SundaySupper:
- Caprese Skewers by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crisp Cucumber Salsa with Southwest Style Chips by Momma’s Meals
- French Onion Dip, with Greek Yogurt by Casa de Crews
- Mediterranean Spiced Hummus by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pepperoni Pinwheels by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Watermelon Salad by annaDishes
- Blackberry Lemonade by The Redhead Baker
- Blueberry Mojito Mocktails by NeighborFood
- Grandma’s Stuff by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Minty Cardinal Punch by Food Lust People Love
- Pineapple Ginger Lemonade Spiked with Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sangria Punch by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Pineapple Lemonade by Noshing With The Nolands
- Avocado Sriracha Egg Salad by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Boneless Chicken Wings by Nosh My Way
- Burger Ice Cream by Brunch with Joy
- Chicken Salad Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Spanish tortilla by Caroline’s Cooking
- Broccoli & Tomato Pasta Salad by Flour On My Face
- Buffalo Macaroni Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Couscous Veggie Salad with Pesto by Cooking Chat
- Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Granola Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Greek Style Asparagus Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- No Mayo Slaw with Poppyseed Dressing by Palatable Pastime
- Spiralized Beet and Goat Cheese Salad by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Sweet and Tangy Brussels Coleslaw with Fennel, Chopped Apples and Golden Raisins by Simply Healthy Family
Soups and Salads:
- Barley and Rice Salad by Family Foodie
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Dried Cranberries by Food Done Light
- Layered Mason Jar Pasta Salad for Two by The Weekend Gourmet
- Smoked Turkey Salad by Our Good Life
- Spinach Salad with Apples & Pecans in an Apple Balsamic Vinaigrette by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Bacon-Bulleit Brownies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fudgey Coca Cola Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Earth Day Cupcakes by Savory Experiments
- Gluten Free Cookie Bars by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Lime Pound Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Lemon Yuzu Cookies by NinjaBaker.com
- Mini Lemon Chess Pies by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- No-Bake Cookie Butter Chex Mix Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Peanut Butter Bars by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Peanut Butter Carob Bars by Pies and Plots
- Sourdough Chunk Cookies by What Smells So Good?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.