I love learning and using techniques when making both savory and sweet dishes, but sometimes you want a simple dish that’s easy to make and tastes great. This is a simple recipe that can be made gluten free or not, depending on the type of graham cracker you use.
I like to use schar gluten free honey grams for this chocolate eclair cake recipe because the texture holds up well and doesn’t become mushy. Schar’s grams are smaller and able to fit into mini-loaf pans, which are perfect for creating decent portion sizes.
If you’re making these for a potluck or some type of event, I recommend making this the morning before. It allows the pudding to set so that the dessert doesn’t fall apart when you serve it. I made a few servings of the chocolate eclair cake the day before a Memorial Day cookout and it held up great when it was served.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: Overnight
|1 3.4oz package||instant chocolate pudding|
|1 1/2 cup||milk|
|1 pint||heavy cream|
|1 package||schar gluten free graham crackers|
- Beat the pudding mix and milk together for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Whip the cream until there are soft peaks.
- Fold half of the whipped cream into the pudding.
- In a pan, use 1/3 of the crackers to place a layer. Spread half of the pudding over the crackers. Add another layer of crackers. Spread the remaining pudding evenly over the crackers. Create an even layer of crackers over the pudding, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate the cake overnight. When ready to serve spread the whipped cream over top of the cake.