|#Gluten-free Chicken Milanese|
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:Â Makes 6-7 servings at least
1. 6 boneless/skinless chicken breast- trimmed and butterflied.
2. 2 cups of your favorite GF Italian style breadcrumbs.Â I personally make my own from ends & crusts of bread (see recipe below).
3. 3 eggs + 1/2 tsp water for egg-wash.
4. 3/4 cup GF flour blend-this is used for a light dusting on the chicken prior to egg wash.
5. 2 Tablespoons olive oil- used in pan to brown each chicken cutlet.
6. 1 bag of Italian style salad blend
7. 1 tomato- cut up into 1″size pieces.
8. medium red onion
9. 1-2 containers of “Simply Garlic Mashed’ potatoes. If you choose you can absolutely make your own garlic mashed potatoes.
10. Balsamic vinaigrette dressing; I like to use Good Seasons Italian mix and use a good balsamic vinegar.
Â What’s Next??Â Now that you have all of your ingredients all set follow these steps-it may seem like a lot but it truly is not and well worth it!
- Â use 3 shallow containers: Put the gluten-free flour blend in the 1st container; in the 2nd container crack the eggs and lightly beat;Â the 3rd container is used for the Italian-style breadcrumbs.
- grab a large pan and drizzle 1 tbs of olive oil and heat on medium heat.
- while pan is heating take each chicken breast and 1st lightly dust in GF flour blend, next dip in egg-wash and lastly coat with GF Italian breadcrumbs; repeat until all of the chicken is coated.
- pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
- place 3-4 breasts in pan and cook until golden brown on each side (chicken does not need to be cooked all of the way through at this point.) You may need to add a bit more olive oil during this stage- the breadcrumbs soak it up while browning. When each piece is browned on both sides place on baking sheet.Â When all of the chicken has been browned on both sides put all of the chicken on the baking sheet and place in pre-heated oven at 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Now, while the chicken is in the oven finishing, is the time to make your salad and heat the garlic mashed.Â In a large salad bowl place mixed greens, chopped onion and tomato and gently toss.
- Heat garlic mashed potatoes through thoroughly.
- Almost there!! Time to plate the food!
- On each plate place a serving of garlic mashed, next place the chicken breast directly on top of the potatoes and finally place the salad on top of the chicken.
- drizzle the balsamic dressing on the salad and ENJOY!!!!
Homemade Italian GF breadcrumbs:
It took me several years before the proverbial light bulb went off in my head, “I should make my own breadcrumbs from the crusts of bread, ends and overdone toast!”Â Below is what I mix to make my own Italian-style breadcrumbs:
- take several chunks of GF bread, lightly toast in oven and cool
- place in food processor and grind to a fine consistency- make enough for 3 cups of fine breadcrumbs.
- add: 2 tsp each of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley. Add more seasonings if you desire.
- mix together well with breadcrumbs
- place unused breadcrumbs in a Ziploc bag and freeze for future use
We’d love to hear from you! Let us know what you think of this recipe.Â Be creative too– use the chicken cutlet portion of this recipe to make GF chicken Parmesan or cut chicken into chunks for a chicken nugget!Â