After a rather busy/difficult week at work, I decided to make someÂ irresistibleÂ cookies that I would have no problem eating an entire plate of. Well, mission accomplished. (Served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream exponentially increases their awesomeness BTW).
These are pretty easy cookies to make, and I was able to make an entire batch on three medium sized cookies sheets.. These are also a fun cookie to make with others, as you can have friends or kids top each cookie with apples and crumbs.
If you’re search for that awesome flaky texture mixed with cinnamon apple goodness, look no further than these. If you make them, I hope you get the same kind of apple pie sensation I did!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time:15 minutes
Makes: 2 dozen cookies
1 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend (for this one I used a store brand composed of rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, and guar gum)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
“Apple Pie” Filling Ingredients
2 Pink Lady apples
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp butter, room temperature
1/4 cup gluten free graham cracker crumbs
1/8 cup pecans, chopped
1 tbsp maple or white sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. In another medium bowl, whisk the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the 1/2 c brown sugar and 1/4 c white sugar by the 1/4 cup.
3. Once the sugar and butter are combined, beat in the vanilla and the egg. Whisk in the flour by the half cup.
4. Filling: Peel and dice the apples, and place into a small bowl. Mix with the sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
5. Topping: Mix together the topping ingredients in a small bowl until it forms a crumb like texture.
6. Form the cookies: Drop the cookies onto the cookie sheets in 2 tablespoon balls, 1-2 inches apart. Push in the middle of each ball lightly, and fill with 3-4 apple pieces. Top with topping crumbles. Place in the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes until golden brown around the edges. Once cool, serve with ice cream.