Welcome to the first episode of Gluten Free Crumbley’s Geek Food Friday! I’m excited to announce that it’s a new bi-weekly feature where I make something inspired by TV shows, movies, video games, or books. Episode One features one of the most iconic video game items, the Super Mushroom from the Super Mario series. I’ve always loved Nintendo and the Super Mario series, so I figured making a Mario cake would be the perfect way to kick off this series! I also love making character cakes, because it brings back memories of when my mom did a part time business of making cakes for friends and families when I was younger.
Check out the post below for what you need, some basic cake decorating tips, and my first Geek Food Friday video! (positive criticism is always welcomed! Emphasis on the word positive…)
What you need to make the Gluten Free Super Mushroom Cake:
- I recipe for Gluten Free Citrus Yellow Cake
- 2 batches of Easy Vanilla Buttercream (from Taste of Home)
- Gluten Free Food Coloring
- Cake spatulas
- Icing Bag and star tips
Some cake decorating tips:
- When making a cake based on an icon, have a print out of what you’re trying to create to use as a visual guide.
- Toothpicks are the best way to sketch an image on a cake. If you make a mistake, it doesn’t damage the cake and no one will know. It’s also great when you need to stencil where all the colored frostings need to go. If you don’t like the shape of the outline, you can easily correct it with a spatula.
- If you put frosting somewhere you don’t want it to go, you can use a toothpick to remove the frosting easily without damaging the rest of the decorations.
- Use a knife to shape the cake. You’ll be amazed what a little bit of shaping can do to make your image come to life!
Here’s the video:
If you like it, please leave comments for what you’d like to see in one of the next Geek Food Fridays!
Also, please share the video if you like it!